[OM] Re: Zuiko 85mm F2 MC

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 85mm F2 MC
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:31:10 -0800
Paul Martinez wrote:
> It's not too hard to see the vary sharp corners at the bottom of the frame.
> Some primes don't even hold up as well in the corners, especially on FF
> digital. The windows on the house at the extreme bottom right are clear
> enough, no?  Many here just talk, but don't provide any pics, or sometimes a
> poorly scanned neg/slide/print at 640x480 display. I offer a very clear and
> detailed 900x600 shot and there is a problem? Look at the flags on the
> distand buildings and the detail of the houses...

I have to agree with Chuck; for resolution, one needs full pixel
samples. This is one way I've tried to do that on the web
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Tam28-300b/pages/Bridge-28mm.htm>.

It takes a little time, but I don't know any other way to show the
overall image and samples from center and all corners in a way that
doesn't just kill people with low bandwidth and allows visual
comparisons all in one view.

And I would go further in suggesting that some other important imaging
characteristics can only be seen in full pixel samples. Down sampling
compresses subtle graduations of tonal detail that I think are part of
the "undefinable" differences that make images from certain films,
lenses and sensor systems more pleasing to many viewers.

My tests of the equal sized sensor portions of the 5D against the sensor
in the 300D show something going on at the level of individual pixels
that affects the image in clearly noticeable ways, including resolution.
Since the tests were conducted with care so that the only variable was
the sensor system, I must conclude that there are significant
differences in the amount of true separation of data by sensor site.
Whether in AA filter, sensor itself or processing electronics and/or in
what combination, it makes a distinct difference.

This may make no difference in downsized, JPEG web images, but may be
quite significant in large prints. I think they are the sort of
differences that account for comments about things like the 3D quality
of some images, "Leica glow", etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the
enduring appeal of images from the "outdated" E-1 to very discriminating
photographers lies in the quality of its handling of tonal nuance.

All this is one reason I often include full pixel samples in my posts of
various images, even where resolution is really secondary to the
particular image
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Home/Sunsprite.htm>.

Moose