[OM] Archival gold disks etc

Subject: [OM] Archival gold disks etc
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:17:16 +1300
Hello all

I just visited Adorama and placed an order for 25 armour-plated gold disks
and 3 rolls of K64 + mailers

Their prices for archival gold disks are very good.

However, they use only UPS International Express for delivery to NZ, and
that was going to cost $US 43. So I cancelled. Not only is the cost
outrageous, but it doesn't end there. As has been said here before, UPS and
all other courier companies add on a lot of extra charges at the recipient end
that can easily double their charges.

B&H are prepared to use USPS, but they don't have Kodak mailers.

So I will be contacting an old friend in WV to ask if he is prepared to act as
go-between.  Will have to move fast as he has to shift house to a new job in
Sonora ? CA, by 18 March.

I heard a story today on radio. They said that in Buffalo, USA, it was
established fact; it is renowned as being a city where, after daybreak, if you
open the drapes to let the light it, the room gets darker.   Remarkable :-))

A true story about much/more etc.

A couple of years ago I was waiting for a bus on Ferry Road. You know,
opposite the undertaker under the yew trees. You don't know? Well you
haven't missed a lot.  Ask for a photo.  |8-)

And there was a dearth of buses - or some dragon was eating them back
down the street. And a bulky Samoan man who was pacing up and down,
waiting like me, remarked gutturally    "Not much Bus, Eh?"

Until then I had never thought how it is, even though we are never taught this,
that we (here) speak, automatically making the distinction, of much sugar,
many peanuts, much land, many acres, much grass, many trees - and so on.

I wonder if there are international differences in this practice between
"native"
speakers of "English"?.

Similarly, in France, The Netherlands, Germany, and so on, people
automatically recognise the gender (or absence of gender), for every thing
there is. For English speakers who never need to think of a tree, house, car,
flower etc as having a gender, this is hard to deal with, and the difficulty in
translation and conversation is compounded by (at least Dutch) dictionaries
not containing the gender information.

Brian