[OM] Re: Remote flash trigger has me baffled

Subject: [OM] Re: Remote flash trigger has me baffled
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 17:48:58 -0800
The slave is just a switch that pulls the trigger voltage "low
enough". The voltage you measure on a untriggered flash may not be
closely related to how low the voltage has to go. (Tim mentioned
putting diodes in series to test how low it has to go). The voltage
level isn't necessarily related to quality. If there is a diode in
series to protect against the wrong polarity of voltage, then the
switch may not be able to pull the voltage as low and similarly if the
flash has a protection diode, the voltage that its trigger has to be
pullled down to, may be lower.

If you have a multi-output hotshoe adapter it may also have protection
diodes which make the voltage problem more likely to appear. So ...
have as little between the slave receiver and the flash as possible.

-jeff