[OM] Re: CD longevity and E-1 images

Subject: [OM] Re: CD longevity and E-1 images
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 06:53:43 -0500
You're very lucky.  As a warning of what might be encountered:  I made a
DVD the other day on a friend's computer that contained about 2GB of
images.  The disc was created without incident and passed the
verification test.  I brought the disc home in a protective sleeve and
attempted to load it on my own computer the next day.  There were three
images that were unrecoverable.  The unrecoverable images were adjacent
to each other or nearly so.  The image order on the disc was
"...D,E,F,G,H..." where D, G and H were bad.  I'm hoping the disc had a
bad spot but concerned that the errors are a result of reading the disc
with a drive other than what created it.  If that's the case perhaps we
have to archive our old drives as well as the discs and software.

Chuck Norcutt