[OM] Re: The real 24mm finals: Sumo-style monster vs little gem

Subject: [OM] Re: The real 24mm finals: Sumo-style monster vs little gem
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 15:25:18 -0800
I don't get this.  A 24/1.4 v. 24/2.8 v. a fast zoom?  Why it is
shocking that lenses with more elements or larger apertures might
have more flare. Wow. What a revelation.

Why not the Canon 24/2.8 and the Nikon 24/2.8? Even aside from the
questionable test results and the seeming disconnect between what he
says and what is on the screen, would not the Oly 2.8 do well against
the 11-22/2.8-4 and a faster version if it existed?

The tests themselves seem to have varying amounts of sharpening
sometimes with the winner of the comparison looking so hard and
haloed it might shatter. The confusion of lens color aberration with
sensor purple fringing is not reassuring.

Just a bit of reality, photodo.com rates:
The Canon 24/2.8 at 3.9
The Nikon 24/2.8 at 3.7 for MF or 3.9 for the AF version
Photodo never tested many of the OM lenses but the much lauded other
wide angle 21/2 only rated a 3.0.

For what it is worth, the 17-35 is considered by most Nikon lens
reviewers to be superior to any of its single focal length
equivalents. What is even more weird is that they comment on the
complete lack of color aberration, good resistance to flare, and the
fact that the modest barrel distortion does not become mild
pincushion until 35mm in direct contradiction to this "review" which
finds pincushion at 24mm where everyone else finds barrel distortion.

I don't think you can conclude anything from this review. Just using
your common sense that a slower, single focal length lens with fewer
lens elements is going to get you smaller size and more freedom from
flare seems to be a better use of one's time. If this is typical I
would beware of anything written on this guy's site.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA