[OM] Re: Just another photo

Subject: [OM] Re: Just another photo
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:05:51 -0800
Mike wrote:
> Frankly while I like this image overall I find the bokeh a bit harsh and
> the voodoo and incantations that Moose performs serves to accentuate it
> at the expense of the primary subjects. So in this case I'd go with the
> original image. Maybe the foreground could be selected for the LCM etc.
> and the background de-emphasized.

I agree with you. It's just not worth it, though, when working with a
smallish JPEG. With hairy subjects, getting separation of hair that
sticks out into the background is seldom easy.

If it were my original, and I were preparing it for display, I would at
least try separating foreground and background and treating them
differently to soften and deemphasize the bokeh. It's amazing sometimes
how dropping background brightness just a little acn make the primary
subject pop forward.

Walt mentioned cropping and "air" around the subjects before. I cropped
for three reasons. One was simply practical for web presentation'
cropping width allows the major part of the image to be larger and more
effective. Two was to reduce the total area and brightness of the OOF
background, with the crop set to leave out a couple of bright elements.
Three was simply personal taste. I agree about the air being needed, but
didn't need that much.

Moose