[OM] Re: LightRoom v.1 news

Subject: [OM] Re: LightRoom v.1 news
From: Michael Collins <l43g20th@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:46:32 -0500
On 1/23/07 12:03 PM, "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As a new Mac Pro user, let me say you are not likely to regret your
> decision. <g>

As a recent Mac Pro purchaser [but not new to Macs - been using them since
1985], I do have one serious complaint. In a quiet room, there is a
high-pitched whine that is close to driving me to distraction. I assume it's
the boot drive - mine is 250GB, 7200 RPM - but one of these days will take
the cover off again to track it down. I was told by the dealer's repair
people that this is "normal", so perhaps Oasis and Coldplay do more damage
to ears than decades of the Stones and Iron Butterfly and the like :-) .

BTW, I added two 320GB drives (Seagate Barracuda SATA, same as Apple use)
for data storage, one active and one purely for backup. I keep just system
and applications on the boot drive, backing it up as a sparse image onto the
data drive, then backing up the data drive to its companion. I bought the
OEM versions of the drives for C$110 each, and installation was (as
advertised) a snap.

Michael