[OM] Re: OT: noisy macs [was: Re: LightRoom v.1 news]

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: noisy macs [was: Re: LightRoom v.1 news]
From: Philippe Le Zuikomane <zuikomane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 11:57:50 -0600
Scott,

If it's just for music your best bets are probably the original iPod Shuffle
(59 clams at Apple store refurbished) and the latest video iPod. Most
competitors are actually worse in some respect including sound quality. The
shuffle's OS does not handle Apple Lossless, FLAC, etc. but you can do
high-rate MP3 or just cram one or two uncompressed WAV files. The teeny
amplifier is one of the best on the market so you can listen direct out of it
without hurting your ears. Recommended phones: Sennheiser CX 300 (earphones,
will cut out some noise) and PX 100 (folding headphones) for 50-odd clams. If
you want seriously improved sound at your desktop, though, consider a mini
headphone amp and slightly better headphones but then you might as well run it
all off your PC or Mac. Tons of info and feedback at <http://www.head-fi.org/>.
My 2 cents' wort... - Phil

On 10:56, ScottGee1 wrote:

>ipod, shmipod.  I'd rather waste, er, *invest* my $$ in camera gear.
>
>;o)
>
>Seriously, I have no interest in watching video on a tiny screen and
>they seem outrageously priced for listening to music/radio.  IMO, of
>course!  YMMV.
>
>ScottGee1

==