[OM] Re: OT: noisy macs [was: Re: LightRoom v.1 news]

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: noisy macs [was: Re: LightRoom v.1 news]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:08:49 -0500
As you did, I would be sure to buy the branded charger from a reputable
supplier.  Even there we're gambling that our reputable suppliers aren't
being ripped off by their suppliers.  Counterfeit goods is getting to be
a major problem when it affects product safety.  The charger is a
critical part of the safety chain so don't skimp.

As to the batteries, you can do much better price wise and, in the case
of Canon at least, get a larger capacity battery and get a safe one by
looking for name brand battery suppliers.

My Canyon spare is an "Energizer" bought for about $20 and the Mynolta
spare is a "Maxell", also bought for about $20.  I think both came from
  J&R Music World <http://www.jr.com/>  I used to have two Mynolta
spares bought for about $8 each on oboy.  The first one failed within a
year and the second one did something (I can't remember what) that
caused me to tape up its contacts, wrap it thoroughly in plastic and get
rid of it at a recycling center.  That was shortly after discovering how
dangerous lithium ion batteries and chargers can be.  Perhaps Energizer
and Maxell, etc. have branched out into OEM compatible chargers but, if
so, I haven't seen any.

I've posted this before but if you'd like a little enlightenment you
might want to read the Energizer material safety data sheet for lithium
ion batteries.  See Section III on fire and explosion and Section V -
Charging on the need for a timer as a safety backup.  Take care.
<http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithiumion_psds.pdf>

Chuck Norcutt