[OM] Re: OT Tough Month

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Tough Month
From: Ian Lowman <ian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 23:15:39 -0500
Moose wrote:
> Considering the volume of posts, it's probably just as well you have
> heard little from me the last few days. :-)
>
> You will hear from me only slowly for the next bit, too, and tardy, as
> I'm quite behind.
>
> I had to pull the health care Power of Attorney on my mother last Sunday
> to get her into the hospital. "I CAN'T go! I just got out of there.".
> But one brother and I get her there. And they managed to keep her alive
> until my other brother made it in from Utah. Fortunately, they are
> pretty lenient about visiting rules in come cases, so her best friend
> and lost of family were with her most of Wednesday and one son and
> daughter-in-law were with her when she quietly simply stopped breathing
> at 11:25 that night.
>
> It's one of these good news- bad news things. Anyway, the family is all
> together and having a good time working together, so all is well in the
> large sense. But as eldest, executor and incoming trustee of the living
> trust, it appears I new have a new part time job I didn't want.
>
> And my late wife's father died a week ago. I really liked him and will
> miss him, but my job now is to be really available for my son, who lost
> his mother at seven, now her Dad, with whom he was close, and now his
> grandmother on my side.
>
> Guess I have plenty to keep me from worrying about any problems of my
> own.  ;-) I'm actually in better shape than my brothers, who have busy
> lives and one of whom lives far away. Mom's decline and inevitable death
> has been a part of my life for the last months, as I have spent a lot of
> time helping and hanging out with her. My brothers have known in an
> intellectual way, but not in the gut way I have.
>
> Hope all your end up with a January better than that!
>
> Moose

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for those words, Moose. It must be a very difficult time for you,
and it appears that you're dealing with it as well as can be expected.
My sympathies go out to you and yours. Although it's very impersonal
(after all, you haven't the faintest idea who I am) I feel that groups
like this can offer a very valuable sense of community and mutual
understanding, especially when it's apparent that some group
relationships have been going on for many years. It's just like any
other support group. (AND THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!)

My wife's cousin died last week. She was a great friend to both of us,
and it has affected us greatly. She died at such a young age (37) from a
cancer that she had to fight to get drugs for, unfortunately (probably)
too little, too late. You can (if you want to) read the details from the
links here (please click):
<http://www.herts-essex-news.co.uk/news/observer/2007/01/25/cancer%20drug%20battler%20dies.lpf>
I really don't want to comment on the British health service, nor
compare it to the US where we now live, except to say that there are
obviously serious problems everywhere. If nothing else, her story shows
that an individual voice can be heard, and that change is possible. She
holds a huge place in my heart for her fight.

I am so sorry to add to this depressing off-topic subject, but I needed
to get it off my chest. Many apologies to those who are offended.

Ian

PS - I have many pictures of Jenny and Graham (some with OM equipment!),
in happier times. One day, they may make it to the Internet, but not
right now.