[OM] Re: Comment on film scanner performance

Subject: [OM] Re: Comment on film scanner performance
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:22:19 -0600
Brian,

Sorry not to have responded sooner. I have two (another story) Minolta
scanners, a Multi-pro and a 5400 original version. I've been using it with
the Minolta software (I tried the vuescan trial version, but didn't see any
improvement) for several years, and I have no problems at all. It has been
said that the original version is more robust than the II, but it has also
been said that Minolta scanners are not as robust in general as the Nikon
scanners.

I did have a problem with the Multi-pro, and it did take two trips the the
service center in Connecticut that provides service under contract to Sony.
I have read reports that they no longer provide service, but offer buy-outs
on defective units.

Of course this all means something else entirely for those not in the US. I
would be careful, though, as there is indeed the possibility that you will
end up with a paperweight. What is sadly needed is a John Hermanson for
Minolta scanners.

If I were buying new, I would probably go with Nikon, even though I
understand the problems with their light source. I suspect that Nikon will
be in the service business for the forseeable future.

Bill Pearce