[OM] Re: Shill Bidding on Ebay

Subject: [OM] Re: Shill Bidding on Ebay
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:28:10 -0500
Very interesting . . .

"One former eBay employee said last week that "eBay never really
bothered that much about customer service"."
In a business based on trust, the ramifications of this statement, if
true, are huge.

Shill bidding is used in other ways as well.  A couple years ago I had
a conversation with a local camera dealer that dealt in relatively
rare items.  Asked him if he was using ebay.  He sighed and said, "I
tried, but it didn't work out too well."  Why?  When he put his better
items up for auction, they would quickly get very high bids and the
auctions would close without additional bids.  Then the high bidders
would have reasons they couldn't follow through.  Turns out those
problem bidders were established high volume ebay sellers.  The local
dealer reported them to ebay, receive what amounted to form letters
saying they'd "investigate" and nothing was ever done.

Of course not all ebay sellers are crooks.  A lot of responsible
citizens do millions of dollars through it every day.  The challenge
is to sort out who is who.

And all this just before I learn the ropes and start to offer my own
stuff there -- sheesh!  Forewarned is forearmed, eh?

Thanks!/ScottGee1