[OM] Re: 85 mm owners: Your help needed : Serial numbers for 85mm lens a

Subject: [OM] Re: 85 mm owners: Your help needed : Serial numbers for 85mm lens an...
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:57:22 EST

In a message dated 1/29/2007 3:23:11 A.M. Central Standard Time,
olymoose@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Anyone  getting deep into fretting about different coating versions of
the 85/2  should be aware that this lens is unique among regular Zuikos
in having  gone through an optical redesign that included a change in the
number of  elements.

I think it went from 5 elements in 4 groups to 6 in  4.

Does that liven the issue?

Dang it, Moose. There you go again trying to throw in an on topic  posting.
The Zuiko police may be giving you a call.

This could make for a real lively discussion if the change from SC to MC
occurred at a different time than the change in design.

By the way, Mannheim and Pangerl (both editions) have it at 6 elements and  4
groups. Pangerl calls the lens an "extended standard" lens, as opposed to a
telephoto.  The OM System Lens Handbook (something every Zuikoholic should
own at least one copy of) has it at as a semi-telephoto with 5 elements in 4
groups.   The  copy of the dealers, "Olympus Sales Information  File", I have
shows it as a telephoto in the 5/4 configuration. Shipman has  it as a
telephoto. The Zuiko Interchangeable Lens Group booklets up until at  least
10/78 show
it as 6/4, while the 9/79 printing show it at a 5/4  configuration.  I am
clueless about coatings variants and will leave that  to someone else.

Nothing like a little research project and OM list posting to keep you from
doing the other important things in your life . . . as if there were  any.
Yes, there are.  I'll post them when I figure them  out.  <{8^)  Bill Barber