[OM] Re: 85 mm owners: Your help needed : Serial numbers for 85mm lens a

Subject: [OM] Re: 85 mm owners: Your help needed : Serial numbers for 85mm lens an...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:18:30 -0500
My guess is that the formula change was probably done as a cost
reduction.  Probably the availability of a higher index of refraction
glass allowed knocking two elements down to one and eliminated a
cementing and centering operation.  Based on Gary's tests it may have
improved performance slightly.  But that could be sample variation
because we only know that the lens was multicoated which accounts for
the contrast improvement.  We don't know for sure that it was the newer
5 element lens producing the slightly higher letter grades.

Chuck Norcutt