[OM] Re: OT: Shipping to England from the US

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Shipping to England from the US
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:46:27 -0500
I have never shipped camera equipment to the UK. That said, I have
bought and sold too many antique fountain pens to number. My
preference for shipping to the UK is the US Postal Service Global
Priority package. If you can keep tit under a pound, you don't even
have to fill out customs forms. True, you can't insure Global
Priority, either, but then I've never had a GP package lost, delayed
or misplaced. I've had stuff delivered in the UK in as little as two
days. That said, I don't know that just because no customs form is
required that UK customs doesn't have a look anyway, especially in
these days of international terrorism, but at least there's no little
green sticker to call attention to itself.

According to my local postmaster, the contracts with other
governments are pretty specific about how Global Priority is handled.
For me, it's been safe and foolproof 100 percent of the time. I even
use the free Priority boxes. The post office doesn't object, at least
mine doesn't, as long as you're using them for Global Priority.

If you really want to be sure, use the USPS Global Express. It's more
expensive, and you've got the whole customs thing to deal with, but
the package is automatically insured for up to something like $400,
and it's quick. I shipped a few high-end pens that way and never a
problem.

A caveat: Check to be sure the above is still true. It's been a few
months since I shipped anything overseas. Stuff changes fast these days.

Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com