[OM] Re: XA Newbie question: good technique or dazed and confused

Subject: [OM] Re: XA Newbie question: good technique or dazed and confused
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:52:50 -0800
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
>  Hi,
> Thanks again for the guidance for portable horse solution.
> I suspect I will try and not use the flash too much with a bunch of  OM gear
> in the truck that will meet up with the ride, but may be forced to on
> occasion.  If it is not sunny 16 most of the time, Marnie will have my head.
>
>   This beauty came with the A16 flash.  John informs me that this shutter
> design will sync at all speeds :-).
That's generally true of designs with the shutter in the lens. It's why
some MF lenses have shutters even for focal plane cameras. It makes
studio flash synch so much more flexible.
> The "flash" position appears to be F4 at about 1/30th or 1/40th.  There is a
> light sensor so can't see why can't use it for fill as an f4 "non TTL auto"
> sensor.

Never tried it.
> The flash has 3 settings: 1 for 100 film, 400 film, full dump.
For all those indoor people shots in largish and/or dark rooms, I have
always used 200 film with the flash set for 400. At least with lighter
skinned people, that mostly avoids the effect of a few bright white
blobs in front of an otherwise nicely exposed shot of the background.
It's the only way I know to do EV compensation for the flash. Although I
suppose one might put bits of gel ND filter over the sensor.

Moose