[OM] Update: E-330, T10/cross-polarizer and pebble surface

Subject: [OM] Update: E-330, T10/cross-polarizer and pebble surface
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:47:03 -0600
I had a chance to try the E-330 with T10/x-pol combo and the Z 50/3.5.
 The photo I was trying to copy is probably the nicest photo of my
mother I've ever seen.  She brought it out yesterday and said she'd
come across it recently among some things sent back to her from her
relatives in CA.  Her mother must have sent it to her in-laws and the
cousins probably sent it back when their parents passed on.  It's a
3x4.25" photo -- probably a contact print -- made in a studio, and
printed, alas, on paper with that pebble surface.

I made a flatbed scan of it yesterday, and it is just horrid and
absolutely unusable by that means.

So I just clicked off a few exposures with the 50 on the E330 with T10
and x-pol.  I'm sure I'm sounding like a broken record, but Live View
is such a pleasure.  I worked extremely hard to achieve correct focus
through the viewfinder, just to see how close I could get to Live
View.  Really embarrassingly far off the mark.  Part of it is just
that the viewfinder is not as great as an OM viewfinder and it's dark
with the cross-polarizer, but what a slick tool for the purpose.

Anyway, while the T10/x-pol combo did not completely eliminate the
pebble patterns, it did such a good job that I was able to get rid of
most of the rest of it with just a little noise reduction.  I was able
then to enlarge the print size to 5x7 with no telltale signs.  So I
went ahead and printed it at 8x10.  I was able to see just the
faintest signs of the pebble pattern in shadows of the jaw and
modeling of the face.  Basically, I created a new layer and used the
PS "dust and scratches" tool to soften this up, moved the layer
backwards and just erased the remaining patterns in the shadows of the
face until the smoothed layer came through.  Very satisfactory and
quite easy.

I've got several other old photos with this problem I'm looking
forward to trying this on.  That pebble surface has stumped me for
years.

Joel W.