[OM] Scanner lines

Subject: [OM] Scanner lines
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:26:11 +1300
ScottGee1 asked about the scanner lines.

What I see are minutely small lines parallel to the short side of the print,
ie,
the start and end edges of the scanning process. Each line of scan is a little
bit darker or lighter than its neighbour. In some cases.

This suggests to me there might be something wrong with the way the
stepper motor is carrying out its work.  But the FUJI scanner prints at Photo
& Video results in scan that show the same, though smaller.

The other defect with the HP Photosmart scans relates to artifacts parallel to
the long sides.

They are what you might imagine if somebody had delicately dragged a
damp little finger-tip along the print from one end to the other in about 4
places. There is a ? 20 - 30 pixel-wide trail of slightly out-of-place pixels
in
each spot.  You have to look more or less hard to see them.  Should not be
there.

I might post examples, but not now as I'm (again!!) going out in a moment to
try to see Comet McNaught..

Brian