[OM] Re: Film Scanners going the way of the Dodo? [coming over from - Mo

Subject: [OM] Re: Film Scanners going the way of the Dodo? [coming over from - Mom so long ago -]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 02:31:45 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I prefer the roll-over image because it's a little less grainy although
> it doesn't have quite as much contrast.  As a practical matter there's
> almost nothing to choose between them.
I agree. The initial image is from the FS4000 film scanner and the
roll-over is the 5D/80/4 shot.

What's interesting is that the 5D image has been upsampled almost 30% to
match the FS4000 output. I haven't tried the other direction yet.
> Both could benefit by a little bit of post processing which would likely make
> them indistinguishable from one another.

Yup
> I assume you're having to use a short extension tube on the 5D so that
> the bellows can clear the pentaprism hump in front.  I haven't tried it
> yet but thought that additional extension might be problematic in making
> a 1:1 image using the 50/3.5 with bellows and slide duplicator... might
> not be possible to get *down* to 1:1.  I can see where your 80/4 with
> its longer focal length would be immune from the over-magnification
> problem if it exists.
Doesn't exist. The slide duplicator bellows is barely long enough to do
1:1, otherwise, everything is broadly adjustable. I used the Oly 7mm
extension tube, but one could use a longer one, just shorten the bellows
extension by an equal amount. No problem at all.

Moose