[OM] Comet McNaught

Subject: [OM] Comet McNaught
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:12:16 +1300
Hi all,

I managed to actually see the comet last night after 11pm near Birdlings
Flat, (south of Banks Peninsula) but it was very faint. At least I've seen it.
Nothing as good as this very recent shot from Queenstown.
http://www.spaceweather.com/comets/mcnaught/28jan07/Yoneto1.jpg

I was about to pack it in and go home after being out there for 2 hours,
scouring the horizon, and I remembered a friend saying they had seen it at
about 11pm, so I looked wider in the sky, and there it was up a lot higher.

I will try again if the cloud cover is conducive. Apparently it is visible the
whole night long now as it is circumpolar now.  Digital shots are very hard.
Cannot see enough to focus, and had to take full manual control to get an
adequate time exposure. First time I have done that. At night in the dark.
Thankfully I had brought a torch.

Next time I might also bring an OM. And probably tape the focus on the 500
to infinity in daylight, prior to annoying night beasts.

Brian