[OM] Re: [OT]: Mozilla Firefox Assistance !

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]: Mozilla Firefox Assistance !
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:53:19 -0800
Jon Mitchell wrote:

> So, has anyone got experience of making Firefox work with a Dial-Up
> Modem ?  Specifically, making it disconnect the modem when you close
> Firefox ?

I think you misunderstand the situation. Browsers are not intended to
make or break internet connections. They simply look for live
connections and use them.

I still use Compuserve for travel dial-up and as a backup when the DSL
goes down. Although CS may look like it just starts a browser, it first
activates a dialer/connector.

Once CS has established the connection, I can start up Firefox and it
will use the connection CS makes to the internet just like the DSL
connection, although slower, of course. When I close Firefox, it has no
effect on the CS dial-up connection, which must be closed separately in CS.

I think you are asking FireFox to perform an action no stand alone
browser is designed to do.

Have you been in the Control Panel under Network Connections? In XP,
there is an option for a dial-up connection for automatic disconnect
after a specified time of inactivity.

Can't he just pick up the phone and hang up again? I seem to recall that
will break the dial-up connection.

Moose