[OM] Re: [OT]: Mozilla Firefox Assistance !

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]: Mozilla Firefox Assistance !
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:04:00 -0600
Moose wrote:

> I think you misunderstand the situation. Browsers are not intended to
> make or break internet connections. They simply look for live
> connections and use them.

That is true. But the version of IE to which Jon refers _could_ be
installed with its own little dialer, and it did, indeed, initiate
the connection when the browser was opened and closed it when the
browser was exited. I supported that version of IE for a few years;
it was popular among users with older computers.

> I think you are asking FireFox to perform an action no stand alone
> browser is designed to do.

Well, it's something no browser does out of the "box" right now. But
there might be a plug-in or hack that might do the job.

> Can't he just pick up the phone and hang up again? I seem to recall that
> will break the dial-up connection.

It can -- though there are some modems out there which will
withstand a very brief outage.

I'm sorry I can't help you, Jon, but I did want to confirm that what
you and your father remember is correct.

Steve