[OM] Re: I feel like a moron

Subject: [OM] Re: I feel like a moron
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:18:09 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:
> Last night I FINALLY got the Coolscan V-ED figured out for scanning
> negative film.  Yes, I had it working before, and quite well, but
> something was never quite right and I had to PP the images to get
> them correct.  I also had to manually adjust the exposure on the
> scanner to get the histogram to land correctly too.
>
> I loaded up the latest/greatest version of VueScan and pulled out a
> favorite roll of Portra 160VC from a senior portrait session and
> tried it out.  Hmm... What's that?  I see some details I haven't seen
> before.  But, man-o-man, those color tones still aren't right.

I'm very happy that you have found a solution. Please don't mind the
following rant.

I know I sound like a broken record. Some things just befuddle me, and
one of them is why more people don't use ICC color profiles for neg
scanning.

The logic is so compelling.

- You take a pic of a standardized test target with a full gray scale
step wedge and a gazillion color patches.
- You scan that neg first.
- The app, in my case, VueScan, compares the color values in the scanned
patches to the known correct color values and makes a lookup table
called an ICC color profile.
- When you scan other negs of the same film using the profile, the scan
colors, curve, contrast, etc. are corrected automagically.
- For outdoor shooting in general, where you want the image color to
reflect the light, a single standard profile is fine.
- For an indoor shoot, simply take a frame in each lighting situation.
First Senior gets an extra shot holding the IT8 target.

The results are so compelling.

Broken record again, I've posted these before. Other than downsizing,
nothing, no Moosterizing, NOTHING was done to these after the scan. I
didn't do any testing with skin tones, and vagaries of monitor
calibration would make subtle comparisons on web images suspect anyway,
but to my eye, it works well on everything
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Scan/VuesProf/>.

Sure, it can be fun to spend hours fussing with recalcitrant software,
but there is an alternative.  And it's so easy. --end rant.
> Vuescan is great for slides, but for strips of negs it's really a
> pain to use as it doesn't autoalign.
That's a bummer. Have you tried calling Ed's attention to the problem?
He is generally amazingly responsive. (Maybe the Canyon plastic
film-strip holder has some merit? Does single frames, too.)

<Snip looong story about how to do it the hard way. Which I didn't read
in detail, as I don't have that scanner or software> :-)

Moose