[OM] Re: Vuescan update da jour

Subject: [OM] Re: Vuescan update da jour
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 11:38:33 -0800
Chris Barker wrote:
> I use Dust and Scratch Removal only when ICE is available, Ken.
I believe you are confusing different things with each other. ICE is
software, originally from an independent company, now owned one of the
scanner makers, I believe (Nikon?).

The ability to make a separate scanner pass for IR is present in high
end scanners of various makes, both film and flatbed, including Nikon,
Canon, Minolta and Epson.

There are other dust and scratch removal software apps which use the IR
channel in much the same way as ICE. Canon calls theirs FARE. In Photo-i
tests, it is as effective as ICE and much faster. Ed Hamrick has
implemented his own version in VueScan.

So with most (all?) scanners with an IR channel capability, one may use
either the bundled software, ICE or FARE, or the dust and scratch
removal in VueScan. The VueScan capability has been there for ages. You
need to select 64 bit RGBI in bits per pixel on the Input tab and one of
the Infrared Clean options on the Filter tab.

It also works from RAW files scanned with 64 bit RGBI set, which is a
good way to easily and quickly experiment with the settings without
having to scan the film itself over and over.

Moose