[OM] Re: Vuescan update da jour

Subject: [OM] Re: Vuescan update da jour
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 11:54:10 -0800
Piers Hemy wrote:
> And for those who don't want to go for a pro licence just yet, the standard
> licence is now $10 less than one year ago, a paltry $39.95
>
> Thanks for the very timely reminder, AG, my standard licence (one year of
> free upgrades) expires in five days' time.

I bought a license long ago, before there were two versions. Loooong ago
paid for itself in my mind.

Such an interesting and useful piece of software with capabilities most
of us don't realize. Since it will work from any image file as input, as
well as from a hardware device, it's useful for many things. I recently
tried photographing a color neg frame with the 5D, then used VueScan to
process it into a positive image using an icc profile to properly
compensate for the orange mask and get good color.

This approach may well be the way I deal with the decades old family
album MF negs and my old 6x6 slides and negs, rather than get a new
flatbed to scan them. I realize this approach won't get all the detail
in more recent films exposed with good lenses, but the older stuff I
have suffers from big grain and from exposure in cameras with less than
stellar lenses, mine with Rolleicord possibly excepted. The anastigmat
in dad's old Kodak folder was not up to today's standards. And oh so
many old shots suffer from motion blur when enlarged. Neither film nor
lenses were very fast.

I've got some Kodachromes from the late 30's or early 40s that have
motion blur in bright, direct sunlight. It was sloooow.

Moose