[OM] Re: Delayed Digital Capture - DDC

Subject: [OM] Re: Delayed Digital Capture - DDC
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 16:12:34 -0500
I have to say I find this fascinating.

After the Borg, er, digital capture technology started to make an
impact on the marketplace (~2000 a.d.) I tinkered on the low end but
resisted what was then the high end.  My theory was that film, well
scanned, would provide results superior to even the best digicams.
"Wrong, wrong, wrong!" I was told over and over.  "Read the reviews
and believe!"  Foolishly, I did.

Thus began a long learning curve about color management, file formats,
et. al., that continues to this day.  I make the best prints of which
I (and my lab) are capable and still feel like something is lacking.
Yes, I know others here have a different experience and prefer
digital.  More power to ya!

Now AG comes along and seems to be telling us that film *can* be
digitized and retain that je ne sais quois!  Well, heck fire!  I can't
hear enough about that!  I own two film scanners (LS2000 and FS4000)
that I've never used, partially out of fear and partially because I
didn't have the necessary hardware horsepower until recently.

Add to that all the recent discussions about the challenges and
discipline required to keep digital files stable and accessible and
I'm really pondering the ease with which negs and slides can be
stored.  Yet, in the midst of this, I hear realize that affordable
scanning hardware may disappear from the market along with a lot of
the infrastructure that is dedicated to processing and printing film.
That means that the manufacturers will have little incentive to create
drivers for Windoze 2022 and OS Godzilla which will effectively make
the hardware obsolete and force one to maintain (a) legacy system(s).

And what of file formats?  Those are likely to be improve over the
years which could leave current ones unsupported and unopenable by the
next generation.  Unlike the box of prints they find in Grandpa's
workroom.  ;o)

So continue to preach the gospel of DDC, Brother AG.  I'm certainly listening.

Yours for more neo-Luddism,

ScottGee1