[OM] Re: What the $%#$%# is this?

Subject: [OM] Re: What the $%#$%# is this?
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 10:08:09 -0500
On Tue February 6 2007 8:28 am, NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 2/6/2007 3:38:02 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> If you  really want the item then you should always bid the maximum you
> are  willing to pay and then the snipe doesn't matter.
>

> That is true regardless of your use of a snipe bid or not.  If you  snipe,
> which I do on a regular basis, you eliminate your bid from precipitating
> the run up of the bidding, either by you or by others.  It takes the
> passion out of the bid equation and turns it into a business decision,
> which is  (IMHO) where it should be.

> As a seller, which I also am, sniping creates a big vacuum (read that  as
> sucks).  To compensate somewhat for that, I generally put a "Buy It Now"
> price on my items to encourage those who really want of need an items to go
>  ahead and end the auction and get the item they want/need.  <[8^)   Bill
> Barber

I agree with you on both points.

I find that the psychology of *bay is no different than any other auction with
the exception that the sale proceeds over hours and  days instead of seconds
and minutes, and you don't have the goods in front of you. My mother was an
auctioneer in the 60's and she could generate the excitement where at least
two some ones(it takes two one won't work) just had to "win" the bid. She was
getting $2 for what she called a goodie box (box of misc stuff/*hit) when the
common bid in that era was 10 cents. I've seen her get more for old(not
antique just old) tools than you would of paid at sears.

When I'm buying either at a live auction or *bay I set a max price in my mind
and if the item reaches that point I walk away.  When I find someone who just
has to "win" the bid I  will "push" them into keep bidding just for the
entertainment value. I'm good enough that I have very seldom ended up owning
it. My best deal at auctions have come in the first 5 minutes of an auction
when people really haven't settled down and really don't know what is going
on and the last 15 minutes when they have spent their money and are trying to
beat the crowd home.

I kind of do the same with *bay. I'm limited in the catching the underpriced
buy it now because I'm on dial up and I can't look at that many sale quickly.
I do put low ball bids on stuff with the hope that people are just not paying
attention. I also take chances on new seller depending on what it is because
they tend to get less for their items that someone with a more established
feedback. I also read the actual comments for sellers that have marginal feed
back. I'll take a chance if the general problem is that they are slow about
shipping or seem to have rough people skills.