[OM] Re: Delayed Digital Capture - DDC

Subject: [OM] Re: Delayed Digital Capture - DDC
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:42:20 -0800
ScottGee1 wrote:
> I have to say I find this fascinating.....
>

> Now AG comes along and seems to be telling us that film *can* be
> digitized and retain that je ne sais quois!  Well, heck fire!  I can't
> hear enough about that!  I own two film scanners (LS2000 and FS4000)
> that I've never used, partially out of fear and partially because I
> didn't have the necessary hardware horsepower until recently.

I picked the FS4000 after much research and believe I made the right
choice. I'm very happy with it.

> Add to that all the recent discussions about the challenges and
> discipline required to keep digital files stable and accessible and
> I'm really pondering the ease with which negs and slides can be
> stored.
I'm certainly not getting rid of my originals, but they become backup
for the digifiles, as I can only print digitally now. Come of my dad's
old slides are pretty sick with fungus. Others are fine, but you can't
fully rely on film without some special effort on storage conditions.

> Yet, in the midst of this, I hear realize that affordable
> scanning hardware may disappear from the market
I'm wondering if scanning may not be replaced with direct imaging for
many people. The 12.8 mp 5D with bellows, 80/4 and slide copier seems to
be as good as the FS 4000 for old film, not quite as good with newer
film, although I have more testing to do. With the next generation of FF
sensor bodies and the right lens, camera based copying may compete
directly with scanning. At the moment, I don't know if the limitation
I'm finding is in the sensor system, 80/4 and/or my technique.

> That means that the manufacturers will have little incentive to create
> drivers for Windoze 2022 and OS Godzilla which will effectively make
> the hardware obsolete and force one to maintain (a) legacy system(s).

I'm not much concerned about that. Adaptec saved the day for the old
card that came with the FS2710.on XP with their generic SCSI driver
layer. The FS4000 I bought came with a current Adaptec card and simply
plug and played with no fuss or bother. As SCSI is still alive and they
are still selling cards, I'm sure that will continue at least for Vista.

> And what of file formats?  Those are likely to be improve over the
> years which could leave current ones unsupported and unopenable by the
> next generation.  Unlike the box of prints they find in Grandpa's
> workroom.  ;o)

I believe JPEG, TIFF,  PSD, and possibly DNG, will be readable for at
least decades. I suspect the media on which they are written pose a
greater danger.

Moose