[OM] Re: Delayed Digital Capture - DDC

Subject: [OM] Re: Delayed Digital Capture - DDC
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 19:50:03 -0800
As we are now touting old weird storage methods may I present:

http://www.computer-history.info/Page4.dir/pages/Storage.dir/index.html

The data cell wrote data on what looked like oversized bookmarks.  These thick
mylar strips were stored in cells and were pulled out and wrapped around a
spindle for spinning, where the read/write function was performed.  What I never
could figure out was how they were able to put the strips back in their slots so
reliably without crunching them.

The Photstore was a true Rube Goldberg.  It was huge, it was noisy, it was
mysterious.  And although not OM specific, it use PHOTOGRAPHIC technology.  The
development of the film chips was done in the machine.

Check out the page at:

http://www.computer-history.info/Page4.dir/pages/Photostore.dir/index.html

Jay - From the days of the wood burning computer