[OM] Re: OM (kinda OT) Budget solution for BIG flash

Subject: [OM] Re: OM (kinda OT) Budget solution for BIG flash
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 03:01:40 -0800 (PST)
I like hammerheads particularly the high power ones like Metz ct60. Just add a
large bounce card
diffuser like the CT60 has available, to get rid of any redeye, and it even
introduces nice eye
highlights. If you don't like the large (expensive) Metz oem one, you can add a
lumedyne or
similar diffuser. (I like the 80-20). Or even make one from scrap white foam
board for free.  The
larger the better, for infinitely better quality of on camera flash. I use a no
longer available
Sunpak mini-umbrella, that can be attached to most flashes and it is ~1x1 ft.
CT-60's especially
pure manual ones are very inexpensive used, and are built well.

If you have a stroboframe or similar flash bracket with an over the camera arm,
you can attach the
base of the hammer flash handle using a normal tripod screw to get onaxis
light. Remember also, in
the case of a ct60 flash, the head is not that heavy, because it has no flash
capacitor or
batteries in it, so placing it a long way off axis horizonatlly or vertically
is very workable.

  A reasonable way of reducing redeye with hammerheads  is to push them off to
the side (the flash
camera platform allows a long way left or  right.), although shadows are not
balanced as in on
axis. Better yet, with a GN of 200 ft, just bounce off a ceiling/wall using the
extra power.  A
nice feature available in some of these flashes is switchable audible feedback,
for showing
correct exposure in auto or ttl. This is extremely useful, especially for
remote trigger use,
although too obtrusive for weddings.   Another tip for long distance ceiling
bounce, is to use the
flashes own tele adapter/setting to concentrate light on its way to
ceiling,light fall-off seems a
little better then.

The large sunpak 622 pro (GN~200) has a decent diffuser head available and is
available used
inexpensively, but it is heavy unless you use it with a cycler.

Tim Hughes