[OM] Re: Fancy-pants meter question

Subject: [OM] Re: Fancy-pants meter question
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 15:51:01 -0500
On 2/8/07, Philippe Le Zuikomane <zuikomane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Scott - I was just being silly and that's when I know I should ask the
> list... the thing caught my eye in a display overflowing with MF gear. I've
> picked up a couple of books on the zone system and I'd like to make very
> simplistic attempts at using it with OM bodies after I've been through my
> initial photo classes (hoping to sign up this spring, at loooong last). Bill
> and Chris are on the money: if OM spot meters are highly accurate, why use a
> handheld spot meter unless I want to use some other format or early OM
> bodies? Sure is purty, hope it makes someone with a Toyo happy.
>
> Now, your sky technique sounds beautiful. I might do just that one fine day
> with my bodies and make notes on each of them. Would a Zuiko135mm do OK?. -
> Phil

Oui.

Not surprising to find "a display overflowing with MF gear" given that
so many pros and wanna-bes now shoot digital.  What is surprising is
that a store that still sell such is still in business.

Strictly speaking, the Zone System cannot be fully utilized with 35mm.
 It requires complete control of exposure AND development AND
printing.  Sheet film lends itself to that as do MF cams with
interchangeable backs.

Carson Graves and Chris Johnson both address 35mm usage in their
respective books but Graves does so in a lot more depth.

That said, even basic application of ZS principles can help find a
good exposure.

If your goal is have a better overall understanding of exposure and
ways to achieve it, Bryan Peterson's book is very helpful.  Most
recent edition was published in 2004.

hth/ScottGee1