[OM] Re: Scanner query again

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner query again
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:19:02 -0800
Brian Swale wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'd appreciate user comment on the Canoscan FS 4000US slide and film
> scanner.

Seems to me that I've praised it more than once in the last few days. I
did a LOT of research before buying mine. I still think I made the right
choice, although at that time, the latest Nikon was their 4000 and the
Minolta 5400 wasn't out.

The Canon has none of the focus issues of the N & M scanners, never a
problem. It's diffuse light source doesn't tend to highlight dust and
scratches or cause blooming (not quite the right word.) like the the Ns.

On the other hand, USB 1.0 is slow; you want to use the SCSI interface
unless you are patient. It's predecessor came with a SCSI card, but the
USB connection let them get away with selling it without a SCSI card. Of
course, if you are still using ancient, slow hardware, it might not
matter which interface you use, if the computer is the bottleneck.

I have no clue how the software is; I've never even installed it. Maybe
I will some day to compare C's dust and scratch removal software, FARE,
with VueScan.

Mine, bought used, has performed flawlessly.

If I were buying today, I would seriously consider one of the high end
Epson or Canon flatbeds. The photo-i reviews show them to be right up
there with the LS4000 for resolution and they can handle a lot more
frames at once.

Moose