[OM] Re: Flash Sync Speed

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash Sync Speed
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 02:02:35 -0800
Jan Steinman wrote:
> EEEWWW! I really can't stand electronic viewfinders.
The pedant again draws a distinction, based on common usage this time,as
the area is too new for defined standards. An electronic viewfinder,
commonly abbreviated EVF, is a thingie you look into, much like the
viewfinder on an SLR. However, instead of a screen upon which the image
from the lens is projected, the optics focus on a small LCD which
displays the image from the sensor.

In theory, it may be a good idea. To date, it's far  from delivering,
with inadequate resolution and dynamic range. In the best of them, the
bad delays and slow refresh rate are a thing of the past and motion is
smooth, although I think there is still a tiny delay in the display.

An EVF is not, however what I was referring to. I was referring to a
large LCD display on the back of the camera. I don't expect you to like
them, unless Apple comes out with one - oh, they did, didn't they, on an
iPod. However, I quite like the one on my F30. SLR? No. Better than
anything else I've ever seen on such a small camera? Yes. And quick
enough, high res enough, visible enough in direct sunlight and accurate
enough in visual display of exposure to be highly useful in making good
images. I like tools that work for me, and the viewfinders on film P&Ss
and those few digi ones that still have them all suck pond water
compared to a good LCD.

Your mileage will undoubtedly vary, but it's mine that matters to me.

Moose