[OM] Re: OT Camera for text copying

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Camera for text copying
From: "Mark Marr-Lyon" <mark.marrlyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:24:14 -0700
In addition to the problems Moose poitns out, he might also find that
OCR software works very poorly with technical documents.  The software
uses dictionaries to aid in the word recognition which invariably
don't have all the technical words in them, and unless the software
has come a long way since I last looked, it will not recognize
mathematical equations in any useful way.

There's no reason he can't just use a camera to copy and store all the
images, but it will cost him more time, as well as money for the
camera, software and storage.  Most, if not all, current journals
publish electronically as well as on paper, and many are scanning and
publishing back issues as well.  He should ask at the library if they
have access to an electronic version which can be emailed to him.

Mark