[OM] Re: OT SilkyPix Developer Studio

Subject: [OM] Re: OT SilkyPix Developer Studio
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:14:30 -0600
swisspace wrote:

> If I recall correctly the site doesn't link to the free version but the
> free trial version, you need this link (posted by someone else
> previously on the list) to get the free version, I haven't played with
> it after the initial testing but it still works and I don't think it is
> restricted.
>
> IanW
>
> http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/download/#free
> [snip]
>> On 2/11/07, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> SNIP!
>>> The manual is huge, and there is a lot of info to absorb.
>>>
>>> However, the free PRO version lasts only a fortnight and then it reverts to
>>> some sort of munted version as far as I can tell. Two weeks is scarcely
>>> enough to come to grips with a program of this complexity unless you make
>>> a full-time job of it.

AFAICT, the translated English in the SilkyPix end-user agreement is
the same for both the "Free" version and the "Product" version. The
agreement states that installing the software activates the
"Product" version for two weeks. Then, unless a (purchased)
permanent license key is applied, SilkyPix reverts to the "Free"
feature set. It is not clear what is different between the two
versions, though I notice they have slightly different version
numbers. Maybe the "Product" version simply sinks into the bit
bucket while the "Free" version has a life after that. ???

The site Ian linked to is the same one I get to by selecting the
Download link from the SilkyPix home page and then selecting the
"Free" version. I downloaded the "Free" version; I think I'll play
with that for a while.

Steve