[OM] Re: Olympus Telephoto Shoot-Out!

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Telephoto Shoot-Out!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:42:11 -0800
ScottGee1 wrote:
> Is the "bane" consistently bad with all the OM models?  Or did it
> improve with later ones?

It is much less with the models with aperture/mirror prefire, the OM-4
series OM2000 and OMPC, assuming one uses it. You can see the difference
in many of Gary's tests.

I think it's really less of a problem with the 300/4.5 than with the
shorter, lighter teles and the really long ones. Using the simple
technique of holding the camera firmly with a little downward pressure
on camera and tripod seems to do a quite good job with this lens.

Gary's tests were important as an eyeopener for how important this issue
can be. They were also incomplete in that he didn't try damping
techniques such as the one above and the use of bean/shot/sand bags, so
we have no consistent testing of ameliorative techniques. Many posts
here attest on an anecdotal basis that such techniques work to tame and
often resolve the problem.

Moose