[OM] Re: Subscriptions problems

From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 02:14:28 -0800
Ali Shah wrote:
> Someone is trying to subscribe to the list. He has
> tried 4 times and does not getting anything back. Is
> there an issue with the list?

Generally, the list works fine.

There are however, problems accessing it via some ISPs. Some large ISPs
decide that the list is a spam source and you will never see anything
from the list on their email. The sbcglobal.net email address I get with
my DSL service, for example, simply will not let list mail through,
including responses to list subscription requests.

Also, some email services work better than others for the list. My email
on IDCSoft comes through slower and out of order compared to gmail. But
you can never tell what's going to happen with these providers. For many
months, gmail has been perfect. A couple of weeks ago, I suddenly
stopped receiving the list mails of my own posts.

I recall someone a few weeks (months?) ago went to the mat with his
provider and got the list removed as a source of evil. Personally, I
have no interest in endless go-rounds with those folks, so I simpl use
another provider for list mail. gmail is still my favorite, even if I
don't get my own deathless prose back; free, quick and free POP3 access
for mail managers like Thunderbird.

Moose