[OM] Re: Is it just my not paying attention or what?

Subject: [OM] Re: Is it just my not paying attention or what?
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:14:16 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, John Hermanson wrote:

> I think Mark Dapoz has more info on this.  Early tops and bottoms were,
> I think, nickel plated, then painted black.

That's right, the first black covers were nickel plated before being painted
black.  Exactly why I have no idea but I suspect those covers were part of
the chrome cover production line.  Olympus used triple plating on the chrome
covers.  The brass base was first copper plated, then nickel plated, and
finally chrome plated.  For some reason in the early OM days Olympus used
the nickel plated covers as the base for the black covers.  They didn't do
this for the black Pen FT's (which were being produced a few years earlier)
so it's not likely to be because of the paint.  Later on they did switch to
bare brass stock.
                                        -mark