[OM] Re: Big Storm

Subject: [OM] Re: Big Storm
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:56:34 -0500
On Wed February 14 2007 7:04 pm, Ali Shah wrote:
> Niagara County hit over 13 inches up till 5:00pm and
> it is still snowing.
>
> > Good for you.  Even for those of us who like
> > snow....12 plus feet in a few
> > hours is not fun. I remember the Albany area getting
> > some good dumps in the
> > past. Ours are more fun...and we are now getting
> > some little ones. C'mon
> > snow.  /jmac

I'm 25 miles east of Syracuse. In addition to what we already had,  a foot
fell over night and about 6"-7" more from 11:00 until about 4:00:pm. I've
plowed the driveway twice. There is so little contrast between snow banks and
driveway that it is an extreme PIA to plow. Last Thursday I drove to Messena,
because of the weather I went the inland route, but it was still a hundred
miles of snow covered miles and a hundred miles of not bad roads. When I can
back I decided that I81 was worth a try. It wasn't fun. I had the miss
fortune to follow me south. Another 75 miles of pure hell. If you have never
experienced lake effect snow it's really hard to explain what it is like.
One of the characteristics of it is how localized it usually is, but with in
that 5 to 10 mile band driving can vary from impossible to nearly impossible.
It's amazing how disorienting it is when the whole world is white.