[OM] Re: #033

Subject: [OM] Re: #033
From: "GeeBee" <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:46:05 -0000
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hi Graham,
> This is in some ways my favorite from your series of reflections.  I
> like the composition and the happy lighting a lot.
>
> How do you like Vista for eventual grayscale photos as compared to the
> C-41 films designed for grayscale?
>
> Thanks as always for sharing.
>
> Joel W.
>
> On 2/15/07, GeeBee <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Olympus OM2 SP : Zuiko 35mm f2 : Agfa Vista 200 : greyscaled
>>

>> http://www.geebeephoto.com/2007/07033.htm
>>

>> --Graham
>> http://www.geebeephoto.com

Hi Joel,

I have never been very impressed with my attempts at grey scaled images even
with the Fred & Miranda 'BW Pro' plug in for
Photoshop. I did this one by just selecting a channel, in this case green, then
grey scaling just that channel. I have messed
around with a few other shots and I am a little surprised that 90% of the time
I favour the green channel rather than the red. The
blue channel just looks muddy.

I had noted one or two discussions on this list about using just one channel
but it wasn't until now that I could get my head
around it.

Next step is to combine a red channel sky with a green channel foreground.
After that it is on to the channel mixer palette. I
doubt whether I will ever prefer grey scaling over the use of Kodak C41 B&W but
who knows, I used to believe that I would never
move from Tri X.

Thanks for looking.

--Graham