[OM] Re: Location?

Subject: [OM] Re: Location?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:07:25 -0800
Jeff Keller wrote:
> An OM motordrive yabe purchase linked to a non-photography site that
> has an interesting picture of old buildings at the top.
> http://www.athenshop.com/   Does anybody know where the picture was
> taken?

Looks like Mount Athos, a small island in Greece mostly containing Greek
Orthodox monasteries <http://www.inathos.gr/athos/en/>.

VERY picturesque, but access is limited.

"The basic conditions for admission are defined/ /in a /Chrysobullo/
(edict) which was issued by the Byzantine Emperor Constantine Monomahos,
in 1060 AD It is still valid and decrees that: *(*a*)* Women are never
admitted into Mount Athos, *(*b*)* a permit is required for anyone
entering the territory and *(*c*)* overnight stay is forbidden except
for those who have proven religious or scientific interests and are over
18 years old."

Interesting that they forbid women, as legend about the start of the
place is:

"According to the legend Panagia, the Virgin Mary and Mother of God, was
sailing accompanied by St John the Evangelist on her way from Joppa to
Cyprus to visit Lazarus. When the ship was blown out of course to then
pagan Athos it was forced to drop anchor near the port of Klement, close
to the present monastery of Iviron. The Virgin walked ashore and,
overwhelmed by the wonderful and wild natural beauty of the mountain she
blessed it and asked her Son for it to be her garden. A voice was heard;
"let this place be your inheritance and your garden, a paradise and a
haven of salvation for those seeking to be saved". Since that moment the
mountain was consecrated as the garden of the Mother of God and is out
of bounds to any other women."

That logic doesn't work for me or any women I know.

Moose