[OM] Re: PMA show

Subject: [OM] Re: PMA show
From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:08:42 -0800
Moose wrote:
> keith_w wrote:
>> Oly's 18X zoom (28mm-504mm) SP-550 P&S has sensor-based "Dual Image
>> Stabilization."

> Half real, half BS. Not that Oly is alone, or even first, with the
> replacement of IS with BSS
>
> BSS is simply auto iso that cranks up the iso - and the noise - when
> shutter speed would otherwise be too long. Not a bad feature to have
> available, but simply a lie when advertised as IS.
>
> Is an unusable motion blurred image better or worse than an unusable
> smeared pointillist image? I'm not kidding. Take a look at the sample
> images for some P&S cameras at high isos. Just one of many examples
> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungnv7/page11.asp>.
>
> Moose

Canon and Samsung.
Am I to believe one of these is virtually identical to the way the new
Oly SP550 will operate?
I do agree that part of the DIS is speed only, but it does enhance the
possibility of getting a usable image.
The other half is indeed sensor counter-shaking, which ought to please
most people...
When they go to high ISO, they also reduce the resolution, to also
reduce the deterioration that may well arise.

It's a fine line, to be sure.
Will it satisfy most people? Most probably so.
Most people get 4X6 prints, too...

Most really serious photogs will opt for a camera body that costs 3 to 5
times as much as the new Oly. And most of those will use a tripod for
their critical work.
The remainder that are STILL not satisfied are the folks that spend well
over $5K for their gear. The rest of us are left at the gate...

All of which leads me to conclude the SP-550 will win accolades for
better than average, but still serious photographers, who want something
a cut or two above the rest of the crowd..

I venture they'll get it with this camera.

I sure hope I'm right!  <g>

keith whaley