[OM] Re: OT Speaking of ugly

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Speaking of ugly
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 05:51:19 +0000
I never heard the Dylan story. If you say so, it probably happened.

Billy Bragg's liner notes on ?Mermaid Avenue?: ?Despite the fact his recording
career was more or less over by 1947, he carried on writing songs until he
became too ill to hold a pencil. The last years of his life were spent in the
Brooklyn State Hospital, and when he died in 1967, the tunes that he had drempt
up for these hundreds of unrecorded songs, tunes he had carried in his head all
his life, were lost forever.

?Woody?s daughter, Nora Guthrie, approached me in the spring of 1995 with the
idea of writing some new music to accompany these lost songs. She runs the
Woody Guthrie archive in New York City and offered me access to over a thousand
complete lyrics of her father?s that are in her care, handwritten or typed,
often bearing the date and place where they were written, and sometimes
accompanied by an insight into the process at work...?

And it goes on from there.

Good album.

Walt

--