[OM] Re: F280 Flash + E500

Subject: [OM] Re: F280 Flash + E500
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 02:37:36 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Moose

It's amazing the way you make people notice things :-)

> I assume the E-500 doesn't have the little "dent" in the shoe that all
> OMs have from the Shoe 4 on. The F280 doesn't seem to work the same way
> as the F series, where the extra contacts are held up away from the shoe
> unless it had the dent. However, it does have the finger that goes down
> into the dent, so I assume it disconnects the special function contacts
> with out the dent.

Just looked and your right, the E500 doesnt have the dent. I never
thought about it actually, and now that I look I see that the T32 has a
plastic tognue to push the contacts out of the way, (old memories
starting to return) and I assume the F280's metal tognue must
disconnect the contacts internally, as it doesnt push the contacts
up, thats why I didnt think of it.

> I think it would be foolish to try making the connections, they are not
> intended to function together except in non TTL mode.

I know but after checking the static resistance, and voltages, and
the fact that the E series hotshoe has a different contact arrangement
where the T series flashs can only have the trigger connected
but the F280 has one of its pins in exactly the same spot as the
pad on the E-500 hot shoe, thought I'd risk a bit of experimenting.

Further investigation has lead me to the conclusion that that pin
on the F280 that matches to the pad on the E-500, is for the AF
illumination. ie, taking a punt here that Olympus only moved the
different or possibly dangerous connections to a different spot.

Might sound crazy but as soon as I figured what a screw driver
could do when I was knee high to a gecko, I've pulled things
apart. Only thing I've never been able to put back together
properly was an F-111 but thats another story :-)

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/