[OM] Re: Price check

Subject: [OM] Re: Price check
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:07:43 -0800
> From: "Johann Thorsson" <johann@xxxxxxxx>
>
> But speaking of KEH, I see that they have Olympus 600mm f/6.5 and
> 500mm
> f/8.0.  I have been thinking about buying one for a while but am a bit
> unsure which one would be better.  I am leaning towards the 600mm one
> because of the larger f, but am not sure which would have better image
> quality.  Is anyone here on the list who has experience of both
> those lenses
> and can give some advice?

See the tele tests I just posted:
        http://www.Bytesmiths.com/OM_Tele

I think image quality is not the determining factor here.

Instead, consider whether you want something small and light that you
can carefully hand-hold, or something with a real aperture for DOF
control. And I think the 600 will cost almost twice what the 500 does.

I feel the 600 has a slight edge in image quality, but I know the 500
gets used more, just because I don't want to lug the 600 around. If I
know I'm going to be hunkered down all day in a blind, I choose the
600. If I don't know what I'll be shooting, but want the long end
covered "just in case," I take the 500.

:::: Don't anthropomorphize computers -- they hate it when you do
that! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99-3024-31> ::::