[OM] Re: Price check

Subject: [OM] Re: Price check
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:07:22 -0800
Ralf,

Sadly what you are recommending (under declaration) is considered fraud by
most customs offices. It also limits the insurance options if purchased, as
at least in the US the USPS will not let you insure a package for more than
the declared customs value.

Anyway it is kind of a moot point as customs agents can override the
declared value and impose their own value when charging the duty due if they
consider the value to be too low. It is certainly true that customs checking
is inconsistent and sometimes you get lucky and other times you get charged
when shipping via post offices over courier services.

Dan S.