[OM] Re: Personal Robbery Survey, was Re: Bags

Subject: [OM] Re: Personal Robbery Survey, was Re: Bags
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:44:18 -0700
I've never had any photo gear stolen. I'm careful to not leave it unattended
and the stuff I carry in the field is fully insured. Ploys like diaper bags
only  work for a while as the thieves continually learn. I used to worry a
bit when photographing weddings as I couldn't always watch all the gear. The
presence of some seedy looking people was worrisome but I never lost
anything. I have a very large gun safe. Much of the valuable stuff goes in
there, especially when I'm out of town.

The worst theft potential I've heard of is the popular tourist areas of
Italy.  The sovereign state with the highest per-capita crime rate is the
Vatican. Only a few hundred residents and millions of visitors can make that
happen. An acquaintance of mine had his pocket picked there. The funny part
of that is the fact that he has some ties to organized crime. Justice takes
unusual forms sometimes.

/jmac