[OM] Re: Personal Robbery Survey, was Re: Bags

Subject: [OM] Re: Personal Robbery Survey, was Re: Bags
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 21:33:09 -0600

> The worst theft potential I've heard of is the popular tourist areas of
> Italy.  The sovereign state with the highest per-capita crime rate is the
> Vatican. Only a few hundred residents and millions of visitors can make
> that
> happen. An acquaintance of mine had his pocket picked there. The funny
> part
> of that is the fact that he has some ties to organized crime. Justice
> takes
> unusual forms sometimes.
Especially in Italy.

I've never had any photo stuff stolen that I can remember, but that may be
as much a measure of alcohol consumption as crime rates.

At home, I keep my stuff locked in one of the key-lock gun safes. If someone
is smart enough to get into it, then there is probably little I can do to
stop it, and if they are that smart, they're shopping elsewhere anyway.

We've been to Italy many times, and plan to return many more. I travel
light, usually one body and a few lenses. I use smaller bags. We generally
use standard practice, which is to say we try to not look American. Once in
Florence, my wife was asked something in italian by a local, and in Buenos
Aires, I was asked in spanish worse than mine for directions, so I suppose
we are successful.

Bill Pearce