[OM] Re: : Re: OM peripheral - Canoscan

Subject: [OM] Re: : Re: OM peripheral - Canoscan
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 02:29:09 -0800
Scott Peden wrote:
> USB external hard drive storage is rather cheap if you watch for it. I just
> bought a 500 GB for less than the 300 GB was going for, $150 dollars. Same
> price I got the 250 for a year ago.
>
> Puters are so finicky AND are always hooked to power, (lightening strike can
> go through my surge protector and the UPS to the hard drive when powered up)
> so every few weeks I put all my pics to an external hard drive, then to a
> second one. Most of mine are scientific records that are irreplaceable. I
> use to back them up to CD/DVD, only to find out that stuff deteriorates in
> 3-5 years and is no good anymore. Costs me about the same amount to just buy
> another 100 GB external HD and loan it to the State Parks to hold onto in
> case something happens to me.
>
> So, get a useable computer and then an external hard drive.

Exactly the conclusion several here have come to before. It is possible
to get archival gold CDs and DVDs, but costs more than HD storage and is
much more work.

I'm well over the terabyte level with three internal and two external
drives. And looking for a good deal on another external for duplicate
remote backup.

Moose, who whispers in your shell like ear "eSATA"