[OM] Re: Personal Robbery Survey, was Re: Bags

Subject: [OM] Re: Personal Robbery Survey, was Re: Bags
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:54:27 -0500
When I visited the UK last year, my cousin and travel consultant
assured me that nothing says American like shorts, t-shirts and, ah,
trainers. I struggled during our entire visit to keep to trousers,
black clunky walking shoes, and a nice wind-breaker jacket. Until the
final Sunday in London, when the Tower of London was on the schedule
and the day promised heat and sun. I broke down and went to the Tower
in shorts, white trainers and a garish Hawaiian shirt, not to mention
baseball cap with a Labrador Retriever on it. No one looked askance
at me, but then no one asked directions in bad Spanish, either. <g>
I did strike up a nice conversation with one of the Yeoman Warders
about the difference between sergeants major in the British army and
their counterparts in the American army. Based on the Warders I met
that day, it is safe to say the British sergeant major comes equipped
with an excellent sense of humor. Alas, I fear our American sergeants
major are all a glum and humorless lot, at least the ones I
encountered were.

Bob

Hum. Now I'm wondering if the language police will pounce. Is it
sergeants major or sergeant majors?